9.11.2005

A few quick thoughts on the Day After

Dear loyal readers-

I'll start with the good news. Yesterday was incredible. The big game lived up to the billing, with the Longhorns coming from behind to win one of the greatest games I've ever seen over the Buckeyes on the road, and the day was an adventure from beginning to end. More good news: I kept a detailed diary of the entire day in the small notepad I bought at the airport before the trip, from the early morning trip to Ann Arbor, through the streets of Columbus (which strangely resemble Fallujah in some spots - more on that later...), and on to victory.

The bad news: The diary is full of lame jokes and barely legible dull comments, and filled about 40 pages of my little notebook. Therefore, I'm going to condense it into a more readable narrative of the day that should at once thrill, shock and amuse you. It'll take me two or three days. For now, some quick thoughts:

1) When we got Vince Young, we knew he was gifted physically. We didn't know that he would be this gutty, this clutch, this fearless, and this good. As a leader, he's Aragorn. As a warrior, he's Maximus (which makes sense, since he actually watches Gladiator before every game). For Longhorn Football, he may be our William Wallace, the man who will liberate us from the cruel yoke of Bob Stoops. The team around him has the same attitude of fearlessness. In a game where they weren't perfect in the toughest of circumstances, they did what it took to win, and are consequently on the inside track to the national title. Congratulations, Horns.

2) I never seem to take easy vacations. My uncle goes on cruises. My parents go to New Mexico. I go to Russia to work with orphans, and on long road trips with insane schedules to watch football games. That said, as I walked through the disappointed (and largely inebriated and hostile) crowd of Ohio State Buckeye fans, trying to avoid a fight, I felt absolutely in my element. In the midst of all the craziness, I felt the Lord's favour. I never take easy vacations, and I wouldn't have it any other way...

More to come in a couple of days, y'all. Later.

-Nate

2 Comments:

At 12:40 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Did Jake have on a black stetson w/ a rainbow band? I spotted a tall skinny guy in a trucker cap & organge T-shirt next to a shorter guy w/ the stetson - any chance it was you?

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger lisa said...

But if we (I say 'we' because I don't take easy vacays either) took the easy way out, there wouldn't be great stories to tell and memories to be had...Rock on!

BTW, My husband and I are jealous. He's a big ND fan, and of course, I love UT; you were at the best games of the weekend!

~Lisa (Ellen's former roomie)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

backg

round:#123;