10.11.2006

iTunes Playlist: Upbeat Groove

I haven't posted a Playlist in quite awhile, and since I have little on my mind this week, I can think of no better time to post a Playlist that demands little of the mind...

This little collection, which I will call Upbeat Groove, consists of songs that put me in a good mood when I hear them. No musical snobbery or irony involved - my like for all these songs is unqualified, I assure you. As always, click on the songs for the link on iTunes.

Solsbury Hill - A song Peter Gabriel wrote about leaving Genesis, or so I've heard. I associate it with the trailer for Big Fish, which might be Tim Burton's best film.

Love Will Turn You Around - An early 80's Kenny Rogers relic that he wrote for the movie Six Pack. In the movie, Kenny plays a crotchety stock car racer that meets a group of kids that resemble the Boxcar Children. The kids teach him about life, love, etc, as they help him win races. It was my favorite movie around age 6, but I have no idea if it was any good. For what it's worth, near the end, one of the kids and a TV reporter exchange these words about Kenny's whereabouts:

Reporter: Where did (Kenny Rogers) go?
Kid: He had to drain the water lily.

Now you know that has to be a good movie...

Super Duper Love (Are You Diggin' on Me?) Part I
- From Joss Stone's first album. A much appreciated recommendation to me from Chris Hairel.

Seasons of Love - The theme from RENT, as performed by the movie cast. Let me add right here that Eric just came by, and Wolfy is licking his Shiner bottle enthusiastically. I couldn't get Photo Booth to come up in time to take a picture of it, but here's a picture of Wolfy anyway:



Like a Child
- From Jars of Clay. I dig the descending/ascending guitar strum that starts with the second "Dear God."

Hey, I got Wolfy to lick my beer bottle. See?



Music for a Found Harmonium - A James Galway piece from Napoleon Dynamite. I haven't listened to a whole lot of Galway, but I like what I've heard. I wonder what flutists think of Galway - do they love him (making him the Flute equivalent of Stevie Ray Vaughan), or do they think "I can do better - I don't know why he's famous." (Making him the Flute Equivalent of the Edge). Ellen, this would be a good thing to comment on if you're reading...).

Three Little Birds - An upbeat Bob Marley song. I read something recently about how the Legend greatest hits album neglects the more defiant Marley political anthems, and that therefore most Bob Marley fans possess an incomplete understanding of his music. However, this is the Upbeat Groove, and we will not be having any songs of defiance from Bill Marley, Kenny Rogers, or anyone else here...

Cannonball - Probably the only Damien Rice song I would put in a playlist like this...

Turn Me On - One of my favorite album purchases of the last year was one from the Little Willies. It is essentially a Norah Jones bluegrass album where she is surrounded with a first-class band. Be sure to check out I Gotta Get Drunk and Lou Reed, if nothing else.

Always Be My Baby - Mariah and Norah are charter members of my "I'll listen to them sing the words of the National Electric Safety Code" club. Other members: Emmy Lou Harris, Leigh Bingham-Nash, and Sarah MacLachlan.

Surprised by Joy - I could probably put a Carolyn Arends song on virtually every playlist I make. This one she wrote based on C.S. Lewis's account of his conversion to Christianity. We enjoy no moment more joyful in this life than the one where we discover the Love of Christ.

On the Sunny Side of the Street
- From a 1956 Louis Armstrong concert. There's something very soothing about Armstrong's burbly voice, both from his mouth and trumpet. It's like listening to a slice of apple pie with a big scoop of ice cream on it.

Dreams - From the Cranberries first album. Fun one to dance around the house to. And yes, I like chicks...

No Rain
- For the singular visual of the girl in the bee suit.

That's it for now.

1 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger ellen said...

galway is to flute players what american idol is to pop music.

love/hate relationship.

lots of glorified karaoke.

underneath it all, there is a good musician but the rest of the package can get old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

backg

round:#123;