10.22.2006

Tallahassee Pictures. With Captions.

Before going through the Tallahassee pictures, let me mention that before I posted this, Eric called me and broadcasted the first song of the Rolling Stones concert in Zilker Park on my cell phone. The Stones will be making their concert DVD at this show. Lesson, as always: Austin is the greatest city on earth, the birthplace of everything that is, was, or ever will be cool, and I most definitely love it a little too much...



This is the Florida State Capitol, and a stunning example of 20th Century Art Deco Architecture...

...and yes folks, it's very, very phallic...



This is the Florida Supreme Court, which tried unsuccessfully to steal the 2000 Presidential Election from George W. Bush by imposing a standard of ballot counting that they felt would give Al Gore a better chance. They were blantantly partisan in their actions, and it was a good thing for our country that they were stopped.

(I don't really believe that, but this is what Democrats sound like when they complain about the 2000 Election. Gore lost Florida because 1) the Clinton Administration kidnapped Elian Gonzales at gunpoint and shipped him back to Cuba, alienating the Cuban population of South Florida, who then voted overwhelmingly for Bush. 2) Thousands of liberal voters were turned off enough by Gore to vote for Ralph Nader, and 3) Roe V. Wade legalized abortion, resulting inapproximately 70,000 Floridians of voting age and lower socioeconomic class not to be born, and costing Al Gore a probable additional margin of 2000-3000 votes, assuming a voter turnout in this group of around 15%. The contest in Florida was a statistical tie that came out in Bush's favor. Deal with it...)

(But I digress...)



These are names of people who have made the Florida Artist Hall of Fame. "Artist" is absolutely the first word that comes to mind when I think of Burt Reynolds...



Doak Campbell Stadium is the home of the Florida State Seminoles. Not only is the largest brick building in the world, and not only does it house a visitors center and film school along with the football field, it features a stained glass window of Bobby Bowden. You know you've made it in your field when the place you work features a stained glass window of you. This is my new professional goal, by the way...



Culturally Sensitive representation of Indigenous American. The NCAA would prefer that the Seminole on the horse be holding money, not a spear.

Thanks to Ellen for having me down, for a good talk Saturday and making me leave early for my own safety, Kristi for being a lot of fun to watch the Nebraska game with (always nice to be around a woman who cares about football), Travis and Katie for letting me tag along to the movie Friday night (You guys make a great couple), and everyone else I got to hang out with there. Spending time around people like you makes me think I may go to grad school yet...

Oh, and one more picture...



Needless to say, Wolfy's excited about the Tigers in the World Series...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

backg

round:#123;