4.14.2007

iTunes Playlist: Catharsis

I won't go into it, but I'm a little overwhelmed right now, so as a catharsis, I put together a playlist. Enjoy...

The Pretender, Jackson Browne - When Jackson Browne had his fastball in the mid-1970's, he expressed the angst of the twentysomething man trying to decide between a shot at transcendence and the pursuit of the American dream better than anyone, and never did so better than he did here.

Blues Before Sunrise, Eric Clapton - Needed a great blues song, so I went with Clapton...

Reaching, Carolyn Arends - This is from Carolyn Arends's first album. I've always loved her voice - it has a soothing and hopeful quality.

Everything That's on My Mind, Charlie Peacock - A song of confession - my favorite line from the chorus goes, "I have to say it took me far too long/To find out that my weakness is my testimony." Inexplicably, it's not on iTunes...

Fawkes the Phoenix, John Williams - Watched the tail end of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets tonight, and this was the theme for Fawkes the Phoenix, who is a symbol for hope for the brave and noble in the story.

Man of No Reputation, Rick Elias - Rich Mullins was going to record this song for the Jesus Record, but didn't live to do so. According to his bandmates, he couldn't get through it without weeping. I know of no song that expresses the heart of Christ better than this one.

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys, Willie Nelson - "Always in search of, and sadly in back of/Themselves, and their slow-moving dreams..."

Arms of a Woman
, Amos Lee - Kelly gave me this album for Christmas, and it's been my favorite this year. Amos Lee mixes well with Norah Jones (who played piano on the album). Terrific love song.

Waiting on the World to Change, John Mayer - Soulful and honest anthem for a generation weary of the world and skeptical of its prospects.

Walk of Life, Dire Straits - Dire Straits may be the most underappreciated band of my lifetime. I've been whistling the hook in the car for about two weeks now.

Sweet Baby James, James Taylor - The classic lullaby about a lullaby from JT.

Land of my Sojourn, Rich Mullins - The bookend song about the angst of a Christian wrestling with the blessing and curse of being at once an American and a citizen of heaven. "So I call you my country, but I'm longing for my home/And I wish that I could take you there with me..."

Almost midnight, with ten miles behind me, and ten thousand more to go. Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

backg

round:#123;