11.26.2006

Gift-giving

Before I graduated from college in 1999, I lived simply and happily off of scholarship money, a little bit of spending cash from my parents, and whatever money I could scrape together from part-time employment. Then I graduated and got a job, and my income jumped approximately 500% in one year. Not having any idea what to do with the excess income, I found myself looking for outlets to spend my money on.

At this point in my life, I began to spend a lot more on Christmas gifts for my family and friends. Each year, I found myself spending more than the prior year, looking for some way to top the previous gift. I put a lot of thought into my gifts, and secretly revelled in the suprised look of joy on the faces of each recipient as they opened them.

I even had a gimmick - I introduced the Big Bag o' Christmas, a fancy name for a duffelbag that I packed all the Christmas gifts in. When the time came for someone to open my gift, I reached into the Big Bag and pulled out their gift. Though I stated that this was "to save on paper," in truth I just didn't want to have to wrap presents. That said, the Big Bag o' Christmas did have a "suitcase on Deal or No Deal" charm to it...

This year, I decided to keep things simple with gift-giving. I still plan to look for special and unique gifts for everyone, but I'll just spend less money doing it. Knowing my family, I don't think they'll mind one bit, especially since I actually wrap them now.

In addition to the gifts, I also plan to give to worthwhile charities on behalf of those on my list. Gregor, my grandfather in Houston, has routinely done this over the years, and to my detriment, I thought too little of it. This year, I hope to follow his lead. If you would like to as well, here are a few charities large and small that can make a significant difference in the lives of the needy with even a small contribution:

Mercy Corps - Mercy Corps is a large organization with a presence in almost every area of significant need in the world. They don't just hand out food, either - they take the "teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime" approach to their programs. Check out the Mercy Kits, which make for nice gifts.

Capitol Area Food Bank - CAFB feeds thousands of Central Texans, and due to a regular influx of donations from grocers and the ability to buy food at low prices, one dollar will provide 5 meals. Can you say "loaves and fishes?" I have volunteered with my work group at CAFB several times, and have come away impressed with their organization on each occasion. I can't say enough good things about them.

Blood:Water Mission - In addition to waging a successful debt-forgiveness campaign on behalf of third-world countries, U2's Bono has inspired many Christian music artists to focus their efforts on the poverty and AIDS crises in Africa. The 1000 Wells Project is another example of an initiative where a small contribution goes a long way - one dollar will provide clean water for one African for one year.. Water is one of our most basic needs, and digging wells is probably the most effective way to save the lives of Africa's impoverished. As a civil engineer, this one is especially close to my heart.

Mir Foundation - The mission of this organization is even closer to my heart. As many of you know, I go on trips to Russia annually to work with children in orphanages for disabled children. My good friend Mike Cantrell and his wife Olga are involved in all manner of charitable enterprises in St. Petersburg, but primarily focus their energies on orphans and widows. Mike is an excellent administrator, and has the highest personal integrity of anyone I know (which is especially difficult in a country noted for systemic corruption in all levels of government and industry). If you have a heart for Russia and want to make a contribution, Mir is the best organization I know of to apply it effectively.

That's all I've got for now. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas season, no matter what your faith is...

1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger sarah said...

Very admirable! I hope others follow your lead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

backg

round:#123;