12.27.2006

Blogger Issues

I was going to post some Christmas photos, but Blogger doesn't seem to be cooperating. Maybe later.

Had a good Christmas holiday - we had immediate family Christmas on 24 December, and extended family Christmas on 25 December. The Cowboys game could have gone better, but otherwise, no complaints...

The week between Christmas and New Year's is my favorite week of work all year. Everyone else is out, so it gives me an opportunity to catch up without receiving phone calls requesting help with the latest crisis.

This Saturday, Tommy and I are playing a golf course in New Braunfels, and I'll get to see how a power line I designed last year affects play. We are then going to the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, where (hopefully) the Longhorns will defeat a mediocre Iowa team. I'm planning to go to Houston after that to celebrate New Year's with Chris and Eileen Hairel and a few other friends. Should be as much fun as Houston can possibly be...

Happy Boxing Day!

2 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger ellen said...

How can you possibly be rooting for the Cowboys when the opposing team is led by Vince Young?

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Warning: Slightly lengthly answer...

I grew up in Austin, which hosted the training camps of both the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Oilers (now the Tennessee Titans) while I was growing up. As a result, I rooted for both teams. When the Oilers (I still call them that - Tennessee fans haven't suffered enough yet) drafted Vince, they became my favorite team. Otherwise, I'll root for the Cowboys (and incidentally, I hate the Houston Texans).

The Cowboys and Oilers/Titans played earlier this year in one of Vince's first NFL games, and the Cowboys won big. I wasn't heartbroken. However, when Vince ran for the winning TD against the Texans in overtime two weeks ago, I was rather pleased (if not overly shocked).

The funny dynamic now in Houston is this:

1) Houston Texans fans hate the Titans, because their owner moved the Oilers away.

2) Vince Young is a Houston folk hero - he was already a legend there in high school, and did alright at Texas too.

3) The Houston Texans passed over Vince in the draft, electing instead to pick a defensive end, and are stuck with a bad QB (David Carr) instead. The hated Oilers/Titans snapped up Vince shortly after.

4) Vince Young has been phenomenal, will probably win Rookie of the Year, and will only get better.

5) Houston Texan fans now hate the Houston Texans, and though they also hate the Titans, they love Vince...

6) ...Except for the Aggies, who have always hated Vince (and aren't bashful about making racist remarks about him). Therefore, the Texans fan base is now pretty much Aggieland.

In my opinion, they deserve each other...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

backg

round:#123;