12.21.2006

Saw Rocky Balboa...

...at Alamo Drafthouse and had a great time. It was better than I expected. Some highlights:

1) When Eric and I walked into the theater, they were playing a scene from Rocky III where Rocky was fighting Hulk Hogan. A solid 85 on the Unintentional Comedy scale. This was followed by a...

2) ...raw-egg drinking contest. A girl from the audience tried to get in on it, but (to the consternation of the crowd) was turned away for want of more boxing gloves. Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to me either.

3) Before the movie, we saw trailers from the first four Rockys (Rockies?), and something called Rocky V (I think it was a spoof or something). I had almost forgot that Rocky pretty much singlehandedly ended the Cold War. This set the perfect tone...

4) ...for Rocky Balboa. Perhaps it's a case of low expectations, but I really enjoyed the whole movie, and wasn't disappointed in any way. The story is uplifting (if predictable), and as odd as Stallone looks as Rocky, you can't help but root for him. I don't mind mentioning that I teared up at least three times, and cheered (along with everyone else) a couple of times too. It's that kind of movie.

5) The fight scene was spectacular. Stallone held his own with former champ Antonio Tarver, and the camerawork was well-done. Due to the decline of the sport, good boxing matches are pretty rare in our time. I have the first Holyfield-Tyson on videotape, and the recent Corrales-Castillo fight (which is worth every penny at $1.99 on iTunes), and both will run chills down your spine. I would put the in-movie fight in the same league.

6) The coup de resistance - On the way out, I took advantage of the opportunity to punch the side of beef. Sporting the Rocky look of a grey sweatshirt and a black toboggan, I put on a good enough performance to elicit some cheers from the people waiting in line. If you ever get the chance, don't punch too hard - apparently, a Drafthouse waitress broke fingers on both hands after working the side of beef yesterday. To me, it felt like punching wet concrete. If my hands weren't made of granite, I could have really hurt myself...

(Don't act like you're not impressed.)

And thus begins the Christmas Holiday. That's all for now - Gonna Fly Now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

backg

round:#123;